Saturday, July 7, 2007

Reading Can Be Enjoyable?

My wife gave me a Hasting's gift card for Father's Day. Today, on my way to pick up the kids at daycare, I stopped in with the goal of finding A BOOK!

This couldn't be just any book. It had to be a fun read.

Late 90's B.C. (that's... Before Children) my girlfriend-slash-wife asked me to go to see one of her favorite authors perform a public reading of his latest book. My thought at the time she asked me was something like... "this will strengthen our relationship..." or something like that. I wasn't expecting a good time. To my surprise it turned out to be a fun experience.

David Sedaris had us rolling in laughter. Tears were literally streaming down our faces we laughed so hard. If my memory is correct the excerpts he read were from Me Talk Pretty One Day.

The one Sedaris story that stuck with me from his reading described how, as a kid, his family hosted a big family cookout. After waiting in line for a long time for his uncle to free up the one bathroom Sedaris discovered a present had been left... and the remainder of the story had to do with Sedaris trying not to be blamed for the present that 'would not flush' no matter how many damn times he tried!

Today I purchased Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. I've gotten through the first few chapters and chuckled the whole time.

Good read.

BTW, David Sedaris is the brother of Amy Sedaris of Strangers with Candy fame (Comedy Central show).

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! He is my favorite. You are going to pee your pants from laughing. I've read every book he's written, and my husband and I went to see him last fall. Hub was dragged, and ended up laughing his head off. See...we're not just nurse junkies, we have excellent taste in books too! Now you need to read the books from the guy who wrote "Running With Scissors". Another giggle fest with anything he wrote.

    ReplyDelete