Monday, October 6, 2008

... and we're back

Let me get the updates out of the way.

Mom in-law is doing okay with her oral chemotherapy. Other than reduced energy levels the side effects have been none existent. Unfortunately we had to hospitalize her this past Friday for pneumonia she developed from the virus going through our entire family (thanks to our youngest's Pre-K class). She initially refused to go to the hospital.

Thank god for the home health nurse. It makes no difference having a nurse in the family. I am still her son in-law. She listened to the home health nurse... who by the way, read her the riot act! She is doing better now and we expect her to come home 'from hospital' (nod to the Brits) tomorrow.

Our oldest started back to school in 1st grade and our youngest started Pre-K thanks to the new TN lottery money! They are currently on their two week fall break (alternate school schedule).

I'm loving working in the emergency department. The ED has a great crew and it couldn't be in a better environment to work and learn. The down side is that now that I'm on my feet more I've been having more problems. In addition to pain I started to lose sensation in my toes.

Heidi has been great by offering to massage my aching feet at night and I bought some expensive running shoes with arch supports. Relief was modest. In late August I went to my first ever podiatrist appointment.

My podiatrist diagnosed me with fasciitis, heel spurs, and falling arches. NO DIABETES (for those of you concerned). The falling arches didn't surprise me as I've had feet problems all my life. You should see the size of my right heel spur... wholly hang upside down from a tree branch BATMAN!

My doc recommended buying custom orthotics which relieved some of the fasciitis and all of the toe numbness but didn't do much for the heel spur pain. He also recommended buying a pair of Z-coil shoes which if you've ever seen a pair... look a bit dorky.

SO NOW I'M A DORK! I went to bed last night for the first time in months with zero pain. Best money I've spent yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment